• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
Melanie Ravenswood
  • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

53 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:00

Hi All, I thought I'd share some of our experiences here which will, hopefully, be of some help to others.
Our eldest son loves Disneyland as much as any of us. But visiting a theme park when you have a disability involving (amongst other problems) social interaction can be anything but the fun family experience you anticipate.
How will he cope with the queues, except perhaps to visit during term time in January! How will he cope amongst the crowds during the parades and for Dreams? Not to mention the bagging a spot two hours earlier for a good view of the castle.
Apart from doing research of expected queue times and crowd levels for your dates, taking into account school holidays not just of British schools but French and Spanish schools too can help you find the right time for you to visit. For instance if you're stuck with school holidays only then May half term might be warmer than February half term but less busy than the Easter holidays.
Disneyland Paris do have an accessibility guide with information regarding ride suitability, wheelchair accessible toilets, first aid locations etc. but, most helpfully they offer the Disabled Priority Card (or easy access card for those with a temporary or debilitating illnesses for which they're not registered disabled).
The DPC allows the disabled guest and up to four others gain priority access to most rides and attractions in both parks. Usually accessed via the ride exit, this enables you to avoid the queues which can feel claustrophobic to our son and result in a massive melt down. It also allowed the disabled guest plus one other to watch the parade and Dreams from a roped off area. This, along with priority entrances and seating to the shows, can mean the difference between going to DLP and not even being able to contemplate it.
In order to apply for the pass you'll need to head to City Hall with proof of disability (such as a DLA letter or Blue Badge) and a letter from the doctor stamped and dated within three months of your trip. If you're getting an annual pass then you will need to get the pass from there too, but they should laminate it and date it to expire along with your AP.
Hope this is helpful!
  • Captain Barbossa, larney, MimaB and 1 other like this
Joraby35
  • Pip

Space Ranger 1st Class

Pip

1 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:33

Can you tell me what the letter from the doctor needs to contain thanks also I had been told that the pass was only for the disabled and carer?
MattEdCous
  • Pip

Space Ranger 1st Class

Pip

2 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:18

Can you tell me what the letter from the doctor needs to contain thanks also I had been told that the pass was only for the disabled and carer?

We were at Disneyland Paris with our ASD son last week. We took the most recent letter from his pediatric clinic, which was signed by the consultant and date stamped before we left. They accepted it without question. The remaining four of us could use the card to get in the priority queue for most of the rides (but only when our son was going on the ride too). You still have to wait for a up to ten minutes, but certainly less than the general queue. With the shows, there are cordoned off areas to sit in, but it does not guarantee access into them.

There is only one carer allowed into the cordoned off area for the Parade and the Dreams.

• Melanie Ravenswood and Cheryl like this
Melanie Ravenswood
  • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

53 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:31

Just thought I'd update. If you are in the UK you can apply for a disablity Identity card (DID) online. This is usually accepted as proof of disability in Disneyland Paris to enable disabled guests to receive the green access card.
LinessDuo
  • Pip

Space Ranger 1st Class

Pip

3 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:27

You can also have your hospital letter too! This worked with me too!

Invision Power Services, Inc. Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.