• Please log in to reply
    7 replies to this topic
    solo_beckett
    • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

5 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:43

I really thought Disney was just for families with kids, how wrong was I, it's made for big kids like my DH and I. There are excellent bars and restaurants. Surprisingly things like meeting princesses and riding carousels are postively encouraged.... its like being a kid again, but with lots of pocket money and no one telling you you can't have it :)
    • Melanie Ravenswood likes this
    itslizi
    • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

14 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:32

Yes, isn't it magical. I didn't go as a kid, but I'm sure making up for that as an adult.

I really enjoy going as a couple without any kids, but not everyone understands that as I recently read a review on TripAdvisor which spoke negatively about couples and school trips that attend the parks. The parks aren't designed just for children but for everyone to enjoy, equally.

The TripAdvisor review entitled "No longer for families and more time in queues than on rides!" read:

I don't understand why a place designed for children is now full of students, middle aged couples and conference parties? !
    We tried to do as much research as possible and was led to believe January was a quiet period so opted for a 4 night stay. 
    The hotel itself is ok and the rooms are satisfactory, albeit for a newly refurbished room it still looked a little dated and worn in places (ripped wallpaper, chipped bath etc. ) but those I can live with.

What I can't accept is waiting 40 minutes for a toddler ride where students etc are all getting on! Became very stressful trying to keep children entertained for that time whilst a bunch of students and a couple for a romantic break are in front of you in the queue. This trend carried on throughout the stay. 

To add more to this when we got back to the hotel we couldn't get next to the bar/lounge area because there was a 2 day conference on and the bar was packed (and I mean packed) with adults all necking cocktails and general binge drinking. 

I understand now after googling it that the resort is in trouble and needs to re brand, but this is spoiling it for the children and as a result families will stop coming. There is no worse marketing than a resort that primarily sells itself as a family holiday that is no longer as such. 

We tried to express our concern (after a little debating) to the concierge but sods law the bar/lounge area had emptied somewhat (crowds must have left for somewhere else)

Cant express how disappointed me and my wife are. So much so I have posted this for others to read. 
    Won't be coming back. "

Edited by itslizi, 30 June 2015 - 11:33.

solo_beckett
    • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

5 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:51

Wow, talk about entitled, you don't want them in the queue but you don't want them in the bar either !!!! The childfree demographic is exactly who they need, we have the largest disposable income. We want quality food, drinks and entertainment and we are willing to pay for it
    BlackSwanUK
    • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

6 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:40

I've been 4 times and never once with children. I'm going again November this year just me and my mum. I feel the place is magical no matter what your age. I'd not allow anyone to tell me I'm not entitled to visit and enjoy all attractions because of my age. I'm a Disney-fanatic and proud lol :-)

larney
    • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

7 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:34

Oh wow this post is just made for me and my hubby, every year we go, we got engaged there and had our honeymoon there, we just love it. We are not planning on having any children and really get quite annoyed when parents in the parks push their children in front of us and do get the hump if we're queing in front of them but then are quite happy pushing a buggy along with a cigarette in their hands! I completley agree with you, I have always thought we probably spend more than a family of four would, especially if they have kids that stay and play free and I am so glad now that more couples and students are going. The whole point is that it's more than just a theme park its a truly special place where dreams honestly come true. As Walt himself said "Disneyland is not just another Themepark, it's unique and I want it kept that way" I'm sorry for rambling on about this subject but it's something that frustrates me and that Trip Advisor post above has incensed me further :( it makes me sad that sometimes the adults with Children just miss the point of Disneyland and the happiness that it creates for everyone :wub:

Stewie1986
    • Pip

Space Ranger 1st Class

Pip

1 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:16

We are planning to go to Disneyland Paris for our honeymoon during the Christmas period to have a truely Disney Christmas. Quite excited! Looking at rooms though, there doesn't seem any that cater for just couples? Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
    Mcsuze
    • PipPipPip

Galactic Hero

PipPipPip

59 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:28

I think the most magical thing about Disney is its ability to transcend race, colour, age, gender, nationality & religion.

I'm a mum of 3, i was a Disney guest before i had children & it's certainly not my place to judge whom is and isn't a suitable visitor! I love Disney & am happy to share a queue, or a bar, with anyone who feels the same :-)
    Flo's Mama
    • Pip

Space Ranger 1st Class

Pip

1 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 12:27

I have a child and am taking our Child in December, and I couldn't imagine ever dreaming that anyone who is in a queue in front of me shouldn't be there. It's outrageous.
    I love seeing the happy Disney couples.
    Disney is for everyone!
    I'm on this post to see what romantic tips people have for my husband and I whilst we are there, because I'm like you - I love it!

Invision Power Services, Inc. Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.